Election Day FAQs

For additional questions, please contact Elections and Voter Registration at (570) 517-3165.

  • Are you a first time voter?
    • If you are voting in the election district for the first time, you will be asked to present an approved form of identification before you sign the voter certificate.

      Approved forms of identification include:

      PA Driver's License or ID Card issued by PENNDOT
      ID issued by U.S. Government
      ID issued by any Commonwealth of Pennsylvania agency
      U.S. Passport
      U.S. Armed Forces ID
      Student ID
      Employee ID

      2. NON-PHOTO IDENTIFICATION (Must include your name and address):
      Voter Identification Card issued by the Voter Registration Commission
      Non-Photo ID issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
      Non-Photo ID issued by the U.S. Government
      Firearm Permit
      Current bank statement
      Current utility bill
      Current paycheck
      Government check

      Once you have provided approved identification, you will be asked to sign your name to the voter's certificate and be allowed to vote if the signature is found to be authentic.

      If you forgot your ID, you may return later with proper id and vote in the regular manner, or you may choose to cast a provisional ballot.
  • If I am registered, may I voter in the Primary Election?
    • Individuals must be registered and enrolled in a political party to vote in that party's primary.

      All registered electors are entitled to vote on constitutional amendments and ballot questions and in all special elections that might be held concurrently with a primary election.
  • May I receive assistance in voting?
    • No person is allowed to receive assistance in voting unless his/her registration record indicates the need for assistance or the voter completes and signs a declaration of the need for assistance at the polling place prior to entering the voting machine booth.

      A voter may select anyone to assist them except:
      1. The judge of elections;
      2. The voter's employer or agent of that employer; or
      3. An officer or agent of the voter's union.
  • What are the procedures used at the polling place?
    • Polling places in Pennsylvania are open for voting from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. When you enter the polling place one of the election officials will ask for your name. The official will look for your name on the list of those registered (called the district register) to make sure that you are recorded as being registered to and legible to vote in that election district.

      If your name is on the list, you will be asked to sign a document called a voter’s certificate, declaring your name and address on the list are accurate and that you are qualified to vote at this election. Once you have signed your name and are found to be qualified, the official will direct you to the next available voting machine booth.
  • What if I am told I am an inactive voter?
    • In addition to signing your name on the voter's certificate and/or providing identification, you may be asked to sign an affirmation if you are marked as "inactive" on the county's records. Records are marked inactive when a registrant has not responded to an address check the county voter registration commission has mailed to them.

      The following procedures apply for inactive voters:

      1. If you have moved from the address of registration listed, you must print your name and date of birth, complete Section A providing your old address and new address, and complete Section C, by placing your signature on the affirmation.

      2. If you still live at the address of registration listed you must print your name and date of birth, complete Section B confirming your current address, and complete Section C, by placing your signature on the affirmation.

      Once you have completed and signed the affirmation and signed the voter certificate and are found to be qualified, you will be able to vote.
  • What time do the polls open and close?
    • Polls in Pennsylvania open at 7:00 a.m. and close at 8:00 p.m. Registered voters who are in line at 8:00 p.m. will be allowed to vote.
  • Where do I vote?
    • You must vote at the polling place assigned to the election district in which you reside and are registered to vote. Click on the link at the bottom of this page to locate your polling site.
  • Who is allowed in the polling place?
    • Only certain people are allowed in the polling place other than voters, including but not limited to; the district election board, court appointed overseers, a constable and poll watchers. The election board includes a judge of elections (elected), majority inspector (elected), minority inspector (elected), clerk (appointed by minority inspector) and in cases where machines or electronic voting systems are used a machine inspector (appointed). Each poll watcher must have a certificate issued by the county board of elections.
  • Will my polling place be accessible to persons with a disability?
    • There is no guarantee that your polling place will be accessible to all persons with a disability. All counties are required to provide notices of the locations of the polling places and list whether polling places are accessible. If you have questions regarding your polling place, contact your county board of elections at (570)517-3165.
To locate your polling place, click on the link below.