Veterans Medical Identification Card

Additional information is available at U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs​ web site.​​​

  • Am I eligible for a hearing aid?
    • Any Veteran with a compensable service connected hearing condition.
  • Am I eligible for dental treatment at the VA?
    • Dental is restricted clinic based on the following eligibility:
      • Service connected Veterans
      • Service connected compensable dental condition
      • Prima Fascia (register within 90 days of discharge from service)
      • Trauma rated teeth
      • POWs
  • Am I eligible for eye examinatations?
    • All Veterans at this time are entitled for an eye examination.
  • How do I file a claim for a service connection?
    • You can file a claim by contacting your local Veterans Service Officer to make an appointment. 

      Monroe County Veterans Affairs
      Lisa M. Kaye, Director, VSO
      Eric Morin, Deputy Director, VSO
      Monroe County Administration Center
      One Quaker Plaza (Room 101)
      Stroudsburg, PA 18360
      (570) 517-3187
  • What do I need to do to enroll in the VA health plan?
    • Complete a 10-10EZ (Application for Health Benefits) and return to the Eligibility, VA Medical Center, 1111 East End Boulevard, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711.


      Call our Enrollment Eligibility Clerk at (570) 824-3521 for Wilkes-Barre, PA
  • What information is needed for enrollment?
    • A copy of your DD214, social security number, and information for spouse and/or dependent children (social security number, date of birth, date of marriage) and previous calendar year’s income and medical expenses.
  • What information is required to complete the financial assessment?
    • The Veteran’s and his/her spouse’s information is needed, along with their SSN, date of marriage and income. Dependent children will also be added to the financial assessment, including their SSN, and income, also medical expenses.
  • What is the difference between service-connected and nonservice-conntected Veterans?
    • Service connected Veterans are Veterans who have filed a compensation claim for a service incurred injury and have been awarded compensation for that injury.

      Non-service connected Veterans are Veterans who have not filed, or have not been granted a compensation for a disability.
  • What is the prescription payment?
    • The prescription co-payment varies upon priority group and is  assessed on each 30 day or less supply of medication furnished to Veterans of a non-service connected disability.
  • Who is eligible for eyeglasses?
    • Any compensable service connected Veteran.
      Non-service connected Veterans may receive eyeglasses if they are currently being treated for a medical condition affecting their eyesight, i.e. hypertension, diabetes mellitus.
  • Who is eligible?
    • Any Veteran who has an honorable discharge from active duty.

      Please note: the VA will not be used solely as a pharmacy or laboratory, the VA provider must agree with the diagnosis and methods of treatments being prescribed by your non VA clinician.
  • Who is exempt?
      • Service connected Veterans rated 50% or more.
      • Veterans receiving a VA pension.
      • Aid and attendance or homebound.
      • Veterans whose annual income does not exceed the maximum annual rate of pension, which would be payable to such Veteran if they were eligible for pension.
  • Who is required to make this co-payment?
      • Non-service connected Veteran.
      • Service connected Veterans rated less then 50%.
  • Will I be required to pay for my treatment/visit?
    • The requirement to pay is based on a Veteran's financial assessment.
  • Will I receive free medications at the VA?
    • The co-payment is based on financial assessment.