Hours for marriage license applications are Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.
Applicants must appear together before 4:00 pm to apply.
The Marriage License Department is located on the third floor at:
Monroe County Courthouse
610 Monroe Street, Room 327
Stroudsburg, PA 18360
Phone: (570) 517-3385
The fee is $ 40.00 cash or money order only.
US Government issued valid photo ID or a valid passport are required for each applicant.
If either party has been married in the past, we need a certified copy of the divorce decree or death certificate (photo copies & faxes are not acceptable).
Divorce must be over 30 days from the final decree.
There is a 3 day waiting period.
- License is good for 60 days from the date of issue.
The Marriage License can only be used within the State of Pennsylvania.
Parties must apply in person.
- If you are under 18 years of age you must have parental consent.
- There is a three-day waiting period from the date of application until the date of issuance of a license.
- Once issued, a marriage license is valid for 60 days anywhere in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- Applicants need not be residents of the county in which they apply for a marriage license unless one of them is a minor.
- In the event that a marriage license is either denied or expires without being used, the application fee is non-refundable.
- Many Agencies now require a “Certified Copy” of your Marriage License to change your name, such as the Social Security Office. For your convenience we will be sending one (1) “Certified Copy” of your Marriage License to you after we get the paperwork back from the person who performed your Marriage Ceremony, $10.00 Certification fee will now be included in the cost of the Marriage License.
- As of June 26, 1997 there is no requirement that applicants have a physical or blood tests.
Certification of marriage license records regarding all persons who applied for a marriage license in Monroe County can be obtained as follows:
- Send a written request containing the groom's name, the bride's name (including maiden name) and the approximate date of the marriage.
- Include a self-addressed stamped envelope. Include payment ($10.00 for each record or copy requested) in the form of a money order payable to the Monroe County Clerk of Orphans’ Court.